About Me

My photo
Three and a half years ago I became vegetarian. Three and a half weeks ago, anticipating a certain health diagnosis at any time, I also gave up all added sugar in my diet. My mother is of a certain generation and, although a very good cook, struggles to know what to offer guests with specific dietary restrictions. She once had a vegetarian and a coeliac for dinner at the same time, and nearly lost her reason! So, the idea for this blog was born. Every recipe that features here will be vegan (and, obviously, vegetarian), gluten free, sugar free, lactose and dairy free, and suitable for people on a low sodium diet. That's right, you read that correctly. Even if you have guests with each of these restrictions coming to the same meal, everything here is safe for them. And, before you expect weird and wonderful ingredients to make an appearance, everything I'm using can be bought in larger branches of all major supermarkets - you don't even need to visit health food stores. Try the recipes and tell me what you think!

So What's This Tweet Treats Thingy All About?

Watch the brilliant 30 second trailer below and all will become clear!

Tweet Treats Trailer from Catherine Ryan Howard on Vimeo.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Look on the Light Side

Greetings all,

Today's challenge was to tweet the tastiest-sounding low-fat recipe for #tweettreat, and I got some lovely ones in. I now have a total of 440 recipes gathered!

Today's winner I chose for the fact that I love this recipe's name, as well as the fact that it sounds yummy.  It is this:

"Rainbow coleslaw: grate carrots, red cabbage, add small can drained crushed pineapple, leftover dill pickle juice."

And today's rockstar is: @gardenfix!  Congratulations, fame and adulation are yours. ;)

Now, for some very important news regarding #tweettreat.  Unfortunately, UNICEF contacted me a couple of days ago to tell me that they'd discovered a conflict regarding this project - apparently there is another recipe book in the works and they feel that they can't endorse both, which is a shame.

However, I do have some extremely good news.  I immediately contacted Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) as another excellent and worthy cause, and have just received confirmation from them that they have no similar conflicts, and would be thrilled and delighted to have #tweettreat raise money for them!

I'm really excited about this and I'm meeting with the head of fundraising in Ireland for MSF on Monday.  However, it begs one question for all you lovely people who've so kindly tweeted your recipes; Are you still happy to have your recipes used for a different charity?  I hope you all are, but if not, please contact me in confidence.

Ok, now for tomorrow's challenge; I haven't received many recipes for red meat yet, so here's a chance for all you carnivores out there! As ever, the tastiest-sounding recipe earns rockstar status for its tweeter.

Don't forget, I'm still collecting recipes of all sorts, so keep them coming. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment